Composition by Kamala Das

 Ultimately,
I have come face to face with the sea.

In the beginning
The sea was only the wind’s
Ceaseless whisper in a shell.

But lying beside my grandmother,
Quite often I thought
That I could hear at night
The surf breaking on the shore.

The sea was only two miles away.
That was long ago.
Before the skin,
Intent on survival,
Learnt lessons of self-betrayal.

Before the red house that had
Stood for innocence
Crumbled
And the old woman died,
Lying for three months,
Paralyzed,
While the thieving ants climbed her hands
And ate the cuticle.

Perhaps my innocence is not
All that lost,
If the stones still endure
And pieces of mortar lie scattered
In the field.

It may be
That in my heart
I have replaced love with guilt
And discovered
That both love and hate are
Involvements.

But this only signifies growth
And, growth is natural.
The tragedy of life
Is not death but growth,
The child growing into an adult
And, growing out of needs,
Discovering
That the old have black-rimmed nails
And scalps from which emanates
A sweet, moldy smell.

In the years that followed
I was busy growing,
I had then
No time at all for the sea.

But,
There was off and on a seascape
In my dreams,
And the water
Sloshing up
And sliding down.

When I got married
My husband said,
You may have freedom,
As much as you want.
My soul balked at of this diet of ash.

Freedom became my dancing shoe,
How well I danced,
And danced without rest,
Until the shoes turned grimy on my feet
And I began to have doubts.

I asked my husband,
Am I hetero,
Am I lesbian,
Or am I just plain frigid?

He only laughed.

For such questions
Probably there are not answers
Or else
The answers must emerge
From within.

I have lost my best friend
To a middle-aged queer.
The lesbians hiss their love at me.
Love
I no longer need,
With tenderness I am most content,
I have learnt that friendship
Cannot endure,
That blood-ties do not satisfy.

And so,
With the interesting man I meet,
Be it
A curious editor,
Or a poet with a skin yellowed
Like antique paper,
A skin older than Jesus Christ,
I must
Most deliberately
Whip-up a froth of desire,
A passion to suit the occasion.

I must let my mind striptease
I must extrude
Autobiography.

The only secrets I always
Withhold
Are that I am so alone
And that I miss my grandmother.

Reader,
You may say,
Now here is a girl with vast
Sexual hungers
A bitch after my own heart.

But,
I am not yours for the asking.
Grovel at my feet,
Remove you monkey-suits  and dance,
Sing Erato Erato Erato,
Yet I shall be indifferent.

Not because of morality,
But because
I do not feel the need.

But why you worry?
What I am able to give
Is only what your wife is qualified
To give.

We are all alike.
We women,
In our wrappings of hairless skin.

All skeletons are alike,
Only the souls vary
That hide somewhere between the flesh
And the bone.

When I was home on vacation
Some thirteen years ago
My grandmother asked me to spend
One night
In the old family-home.

We shall talk, she said,
Darling,
We shall talk all night.

And,
In the evening,
She kept a lighted lantern,
On the window-sill,
And sat up waiting for me.

The house was four hundred years old,
Its rafters shook in the wind.

Those who thought my life precious,
Cried,
Do not go there,
We shall have no peace
With you sleeping under that
Tottering roof.

My grandmother’s lamp burned
All night
On the window-sill.

I know it is no use regretting now
Or feeling ashamed.

I also know that by confessing,
By peeling off my layers
I reach closer to the soul
And
To the bone’s
Supreme indifference.
Only those who like to listen,
Listen.

What I narrate are the ordinary
Events
Of an ordinary life.

My first school-house
Is now a brothel,
And
The ladies sun themselves on the lawn
In the afternoons
With their graying hair,
Newly washed,
Left undyed.

Who can say, looking at them,
That they are toys,
Fit for the roaring nights?

There must be something symbolic here,
But I do not
Remember what
I have gathered a few morals too
Picking them
Like the wild flowers
On my way.

Husbands and wives,
Here is my advice to you,
Obey each other’s crazy commands,
Ignore the sane.

Turn your home into a merry
Dog-house,
Marriage is meant to be all this
Anyway,
Arranged in
Most humorous heaven.

I have reached the age in which
One forgives all.

I am ready to forgive friends
Their loving,
Forgive those who ruined friendships
And those who forgave
And stayed on to love.

But I shall give a lot to get
One of my foes today
For a quick picnic
Somewhere.

Not having met for ages
We shall have so much to say.

But,
Seriously, I must wake up,
Come alive.

I tell myself
And all of you
Who scan the mirror for that white
Gleam in the hair,
Fall in love,
Fall in love with an unsuitable
Person,
Fling yourself on him
Like a moth of a flame.

Let there be despair in every move.
Excavate
Deep, deep pain.
To be frank,
I have failed.
I feel my age and my
Uselessness.

All I want now
Is to take a long walk
Into the sea
And lie there, resting,
Completely uninvolved.

But,
Rest is only a childish whim,
A minor hunger.

Greater hungers lurk
At the basement of the sea.

Ultimately
I will feed only the hunger
To feed other hungers,
The basic one.

To crumble,
To dissolve
And to retain in other things
The potent fragments
Of oneself.

The ultimate discovery will be
That we are immortal,
The only things mortal being
Systems and arrangements,
Even our pain continuing
In the devourers who constitute
The world.

Even
Oft-repeated moves
Of every scattered cell
Will give no power
To escape
From cages of involvement.

I must linger on,
Trapped in immortality,
My only freedom being
The freedom to
Decompose.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The narrative comes from age, looking back at her life. For me, this was about growth and it's tragedy, the poet tries to investigate her life with time and all the things that come with it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Hot Noon In Malabar By Kamaladas

SUMMER WOODS By Sarojini Naidu