Nissim Ezekiel

A Very Indian Poem in Indian English

 

I am standing for peace and non-violence

Why world is fighting fighting

Why all people of world

Are not following Mahatma Gandhi

I am simply not understanding

Ancient Indian Wisdom is 100% correct

But modern generation is neglecting

Too much going for fashion and foreign thing

  

Other day I’m reading in newspaper

(everyday I’m reading Times of India

to improve my English language)

How one goonda fellow

Throw stone at Indira behn

Must be student unrest fellow, I’m thinking

French Romans country men, I’m saying

(to myself)

Lend me the ears.

 

Everything is coming-

Regeneration, remuneration, contraception

Be patiently, brothers and sisters.

You want one glass lassy?

Very good for digestion

With little salt lovely drink

Better than wine;

Not that I’m ever tasting the wine

I am the total teatotaller, completely total

But I say wine is for the drunkards only.

 

What you think of prospects of world peace?

Pakistan behaving like this,

China behaving like that

It is making me very sad, I’m telling you.

Really most harassing me.

All men are brothers, no?

In India also

Gujarathis, Maharastrians,Hindiwallas

All brothers

Though some are having funny habits.

Still, You tolerate me,

I tolerate you,

One day RamRajya is surely coming.

 

You are going?

But you will visit again

Any time, any day.

I’m not believing in ceremony

Always I’m enjoining your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment